A life long dream for many people: owning and driving a true classic automobile. To find exactly the right model you are looking for at the right price, many people look across borders. Not without reason: importing an oldtimer from another country can be very interesting.
Importing a classic car from USA
Are you planning to import an oldtimer from the United States? If the classic of your dreams is originally from the USA the benefits on price and availability become clear quickly:
- The American classic car market is enormous thanks to its rich car history
- Find models or versions which are hard to find or even unavailable in Europe
- Thanks to a warmer climate in some states the classics have less rust and a better condition
If you are just starting to search for the oldtimer import of your dreams the following website can prove a good starting point:
Importing an oldtimer from Europe
Europe also has a rich collection of beautiful classic car models for sale in the international market. Most often you will find the highest availibility at the best prices for your specific brand in the country where the model was manufactured. But big countries like Germany or France also have an enormous oldtimer market. When it comes to importing a classic car from another European country, note the following:
- The European market has an anormous classic car market
- You will not pay any import duties and VAT when buying from another EU-country
- Classics from countries with a warmer climate often have less rust
Prevent a bad buy: pre-purchase inspection
Unfortunately, not everyone has the option of travelling to The United States to inspect and buy a vehicle on site. Especially when it comes to classic cars with their old age and possibly hidden defects it is crucial that you buy carefully. Fortunately, SCL has a network of specialist technicians who can inspect your oldtimer's condition thoroughly before making the final purchase. We can usually have a technician at the seller's location throughout the USA within 72 hours. The pre-purchase vehicle inspection consists of the following elements:
- An extensive photo collection (about 50 pictures) of the classic car and any damages or defects
- A thoroughly prepared 12-page inspection report
- Full vehicle inspection for damages
- The classic car's technical condition will be assessed and described in the inspection report
- If the oldtimer is in driving condition, the technician will take it for a testdrive to check driving behaviour
Quality of the classic cars for sale worldwide greatly differs and defects often do not show on the seller's pictures. The technical inspection will in most cases pay for itself: the honest and thorough assessment of the classic's condition greatly improves your bargaining position if you decide to purchase.
A local vehicle inspection before you purchase prevents a possible bad buy and improves your bargaining position.
Use a secure payment method (USA)
Thanks to the Internet it has become very easy to search and buy cars or motorcycles all over the world. Payment however can remain a tricky obstacle as in many cases you do not meet the international seller in person.
To make sure the purchase and payment will go as planned, SCL Rotterdam is glad to assist you with a payment service: You can transfer the purchase amount to our partner company in the United States in advance who will then complete the payment for you. Prior to payment a background check will be executed. It will be investigated whether the vehicle is notified as stolen, whether the proper documentation is available and whether the vehicle is free from any liens. By doing so you avoid unpleasant surprises and are ensured the seller will be paid properly.
Never transfer money to a foreign seller if you have any doubts and never use anonymous payment methods like Paypal or Western Union for large overseas transactions.
SCL's Safe Payment Service protects you from possible international scams and ensures a safe transaction.